Wednesday, April 29, 2009

(Not So) Extreme Makeover: Me Edition -- Week 9 (do over!)


So before I get to this week's regular post, I want to take a minute to thank my friend Julie at The Surrendered Scribe for passing on the Sisterhood Award to this blog. Isn't this just the cutest bloggy award button? This award is for blogs that display an "attitude of gratitude" and I'm honored that Julie included me on her list of blogs who do this. In turn, I would like to pass it on to any of you who are reading these weekly Makeover posts and especially to those who are taking steps to make themselves over. Go ahead, grab the pretty picture below -- this award is for you!

.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled blog update....
.
Last week, I was on a cruise. It was FAB-U-LOUS! I spent 4 nights and 5 days doing nothing but relaxing (read: eating, drinking, napping, drinking, sunbathing, eating, drinking, parasailing, eating, shopping, drinking, sunbathing) with my little sister, Sarah. I missed my kids but I didn't realize until the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise just how much I needed a few good days of R&R. I've had a lot going on lately and it was the perfect little break. Mad props (I've always wanted to say that!) to my amazing husband, who booked the entire thing as a surprise for my sister and me!!
.
I had grand plans for my vacation but didn't do much... see my definition of "relaxing" in the paragraph above. So, I'm calling this a Week 9 "do over" since I don't think last week really counted!
.
1. Find and read a book to better myself. I did take The Shack with me on the cruise and on 2 separate occassions, I did open the book. I think I read a total of 3 pages. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't love the book... I just didn't want to work my brain hard enough to actually read the book. This one isn't done yet!
.
2. Have pretty nails. I posted a few weeks ago that I was looking for a "nail product" to help strengthen my nails. My sister-in-law, Cathy, sent me a bottle of Nailtiques and it's wonderful! So, I made sure to put on a new coat every day on the cruise and since I've been back. My nails are looking good and feeling stronger, though I'm not crossing this one off until I work myself up to actual nail polish. My husband will be away this weekend so I'm sure the girls and I will give each other mani/pedis while he's gone... so maybe by next week I'll be ready to call this one complete.
.
3. Simplify. From the outside it probably looks like I haven't made much (any?) progress in this area, but there are some ideas taking shape in my head that I'm really excited about. From a "simplify stuff" perspective, my older daughter and I will start tackling this one this weekend. She wants to make a "science lab" in her bedroom (not sure what that means to a 5-year-old, I'm a bit afraid!) and has asked me to help her clean out some of her old toys, books and clothes to make room for said science lab. So, this weekend we'll start sorting and purging and packing away things. From a "simplify my life" perspective, I'm still working through some ideas which I hope to have in a "ready for publication" state within the next few weeks. But, just thinking through things in my head has helped me a lot, so I'm feeling pretty good that I'm at least facing the right direction on this one, even if I haven't actually started moving yet.
.
Still going strong with:
Better skin care
Drink more water
Grump less
.
What are you working on this week? Whatever it is, YOU CAN DO IT! Leave a comment so we can encourage you as you go!

No comments: