Wednesday, May 9, 2007

In My Daughter's Eyes

I'll spare you the gory details of my rotten, completely out-of-left-field day at the office yesterday, the fact that I worked until midnight and got up to work again at 4am. I'll save the story about how my much-anticipated vacation next week will likely be severely dampened by a curve ball my job threw at me. Because right this moment, it doesn't matter.

Tired and frustrated, I was getting my 3-year-old dressed this morning and she started asking me silly questions, typical 3-year-old questions. I gave her silly, 3-year-old answers. The conversation had nothing to do with work or my lack of sleep or my busy week or the distracted vacation I'm now anticipating. It had to do with pretend money to buy pretend bread for a pretend dinner she's making for her pretend babies tonight. But you know what, that simple little conversation with my 3-year-old put a smile on my face when I thought one was not possible, reminded me that this is the good stuff, this is what life is about. Not work, not stress, not impossible and unrealistic deadlines.

I'll work my butt off the rest of the week -- and probably sleep very little -- to do what I have to do to get ready to be out of the office for a week. But when I step onto that cruise ship on Monday, the office will stay on the shore, all thanks to the inadvertent reminder from my 3-year-old that life is more fun when you're silly. To my precious, smart, amazing little girl, a great big thank you for reminding Mommy that there's more to life than conference calls and emails. This song is for you, kiddo, thanks for being my little girl.

In My Daughter's Eyes
(Written by James Slater, performed by Martina McBride)

In my daughter's eyes I am a hero
I am strong and wise and I know no fear
But the truth is plain to see
She was sent to rescue me
I see who I wanna be
In my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes everyone is equal
Darkness turns to light
And the world is at peace
This miracle God gave to me
Gives me strength when I am weak
I find reason to believe
In my daughter's eyes

And when she wraps her hand around my finger
Oh it puts a smile in my heart
Everything becomes a little clearer
I realize what life is all about
It's hangin' on when your heart has had enough
It's giving more when you feel like giving up
I've seen the light
It's in my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes
I can see the future
A reflection of who I am and what will be
Though she'll grow and someday leave
Maybe raise a family
When I'm gone I hope you see
How happy she made me
For I'll be there
In my daughter's eyes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This song slays me. Nearly 4 years after you shipped it my way, and I still break down and cry like a baby over it.

Thank God for these amazing little creatures of ours who turn our world upside down with a simple smile.

Dx said...

It's too early in the morning for this tear-laden stuff. I won't be back if I have to read things through watery eyes again.

Anyway, thanks for promoting Go Comment to your friends. They're obviously a quiet bunch when it comes to commenting. And of course you can link to my blog site - I only hope you know how to do it, because anything with cables and buttons is outside my comfort zone. If I have to do anything at my side, let me know. In fact do a post on how to link to other blogsites and I can do the same from this end.

Now, what's all this about your granny coming from Scotland? If she travelled from Scotland via the prison camps of Australia and then on to the USA, we could well be related. But if she was a sweet, old, all-American, apple pie eating grandmother, I can't see the connection at all - unless she liked her apple pie with big dollops of haggis.

Have a nice holiday.