Monday, October 22, 2007

Hooray for honesty!

Some will say there aren't many honest people left in this world, but today, I was blessed with several of them.

Around 10am, my mother-in-law called to say she got a phone call from someone looking for me, the woman left her phone # but wouldn't say what she was calling about. I called her back, and it was a woman who works at our local Goodwill store. Seems that someone had turned in a wallet that they'd found on the floor while shopping there, and in the wallet were credit cards with my name on them. The lady at Goodwill looked up the last name in the phone book and got my mother-in-law.

I knew this wallet was missing more than 18 months ago. No idea what happened... if I lost it, left it in an old purse, I just knew I couldn't find it. I knew what cards were in it, cancelled them all and periodically checked that there was no activity. No problems, thank goodness!

Today I went to Goodwill to pick up the wallet and would you believe that every single card was still there?? I thought maybe I'd left it in a purse I'd donated, but the woman at the store told me that the place I donate to ships it's donations to a store to the north, this was to the south. She said it wouldn't have ended up there. But somehow, my wallet ended up on the floor at Goodwill. An honest person picked it up and turned it in. And another honest lady tracked me down and saved it for me. Neither one of them took a single thing. Tell that one to the cynics!

Last time I was at my dermatologist, they told me my deductible was met, I only had to pay 15% of the fee. The woman did some quick punching on her calculator, gave me a total, and I wrote her a check... didn't bother to check the math. Today, I got a check for $12.33 from that office, with a hand-written note from the payment lady there, apologizing for her fat-fingered error on the calculator. Here was my refund. Granted, it was technically my money in the first place, but she found her mistake and got the money back to me within a few weeks, without me noticing or saying a word. How often does that happen?

Two honest people in one day? Both to my benefit? Some days, the little things aren't so little! Hooray for honesty!

1 comment:

Julie Arduini said...

Two honest acts in one day? That's amazing! I'm so glad these things still exist, and I know you exercise that thinking every day.