Wednesday, February 25, 2009

(Not So) Extreme Makeover: Me Edition -- Week 1

.
Here goes... Week 1 of the (Not So) Extreme Makeover: Me Edition challenge! Woo Hoo!! I hope you'll join me in my quest to make myself a better person by taking baby steps in the right direction, tackling small challenges, one day at a time, that can result in BIG changes in the long run! It's easy to participate... simply leave a comment here to let me know what you're working on (so we can encourage each other) or if you have your own blog or website, post your update there and leave a link in the comments section of this post. I'll post updates here every Wednesday, hoping to see you back here each week to share your progress or just follow mine. Either way, the more, the merrier! (You can read more about the reason I'm doing this here.)
.
Here are the 3 items I've decided to tackle to begin with. I started working on these a few days ago and plan to add more over time.
.
1. Better skin care. I've been using my new creams, lotions, serums and makeup for 3 days now. So far, I like them, but way too soon to tell if they're making a difference or not. The good thing is that, because it's on a list someplace, I feel more obligated to keep up with it. So, I wash my face and follow with the "proper" routine of "products" every morning and every night. In and of itself, that's a big deal, since I tend to buy the "miracle package" of skin care products, use it for a day and a half and then throw it in a drawer. Baby steps, remember?
.
2. Drink more water. I have certainly not made a very significant increase in my water consumption yet. However, I have stuck to the plan of drinking equal amounts water and caffeinated beverages. After my morning coffee, I won't allow myself a soda until I've finished a full bottle of water. After the soda, I have to drink more water before I have more caffeine. That much is working. Problem is, I'm still not drinking nearly as much water as I should in a day, so my goal for this week is to make sure I get at least 2 full bottles of water in per day, 3 if I can manage it. (Did I mention that I really, really don't like water?)
.
3. Grump less. This one is so HARD!! Small accomplishment, though... last night I refrained from doing anything on the "chores" list until the kids were both in bed. Just being aware that I tend to get cranky when the chore list is long has made a big difference and I was able to more fully relax and enjoy story time and our tea party. Now, if only I can remember that in the mornings after my 5-year-old has spent 30 minutes staring at (but not eating) her breakfast, while still in her pajamas, when we have 6 minutes to finish getting ready to leave for the day....
.
So, there are my first 3 goals and mini updates (after only 3 days). Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!
(Added on Feb 27)
Please join me in encouraging some others who are going to join me in the Makeover Challenge!
- Jennifer (Focus Findings)
- Brenda (no blog, but she's 2 weeks in to a weight loss program and doing GREAT!)
- Chrissy (no blog, but she's working on getting healthier -- she had a great first day!)
(I'll see if I can figure out a Mr. Linky for next Wednesday's update...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to share with you real quick that I too am working on the grump thing. I am currently working through the Love Dare and day one talks about not saying anything negative to your spouse. I realized this is an area I need to work on with my kiddos as well. The book gave a great visual that has helped me tremendously with cutting out (or at least greatly reducing and striving for no negative talk coming out of my mouth). Here it is: "But patience stops problems in their tracks. More than biting your lip, more than clapping your hand over your mouth, patience is a deep breath. It clears the air."

I'm hoping to get my Extreme Makeover up on my blog later today.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

This is the finale of my "week 2" and I was down .8! Not even a whole pound... but by the same token - down is down, and .8 is three and three quarters sticks of butter... how's that for a visual?! So while not thrilled with my week, I'm re-motivated for the next!